Five Fun Facts about France
Traveling to France? Here are five fun facts about the country.
1. France is roughly the size of Texas, though, at 268,597 square miles, the Lone Star State is actually larger.
2. Unlike the USA, France doesn’t have states. It has 18 administrative regions, 13 of which are metropolitan (mainland) and five of which are overseas. Can you name those five?
3. By some estimates, France has over 1,000 types of cheese.
4. The Eiffel Tower in Paris was named for its engineer Gustave Eiffel and was built for the World Fair of 1889. Eiffel also helped build the Statue of Liberty.
5. Football, or what American's call soccer, is the most popular sport in France. Other favorites include rugby, tennis, basketball and cycling.
France's five overseas regions: French Guiana in South America, Guadeloupe and Martinique in the Caribbean, and Mayotte and Réunion in the Indian Ocean.